Questions and Answers


An insurance adjuster (also called a ‘claims adjuster’ or ‘claims specialist’) investigates insurance-related injury claims and determines your entitlement to damages.

If you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident with another vehicle, at least two insurance companies will be involved: yours and the insurance company for the other vehicle. You need to report the accident to your insurance company within seven days, regardless of who’s at fault.

Your claims adjuster will determine the extent to which your claim is covered by your insurance policy. As part of the terms of that policy, you’re obligated to answer questions about the accident, make your damaged vehicle available for inspection and provide relevant documentation related to the accident and your claim.

The insurance adjuster of the other driver, however, will want to eliminate or reduce their client’s liability for causing the car accident because doing so will minimize their payment of any claims.  Any information an unsuspecting accident victim provides – no matter how truthful – could be misinterpreted or used to minimize the claim.

Your best strategy is to retain an experienced personal injury lawyer who will ensure only relevant information is given and your interests protected. If contacted by the other driver’s insurance company, don’t volunteer any information.

Contact Kelly Greenway Bruce today.


Back to Personal Injury Law Questions and Answers >>

The above information is of a general nature and is not intended to provide legal opinions. Readers should seek professional legal advice on the particular issues which concern them. We would be pleased to elaborate on any information contained above and how it may apply to your specific circumstances.

Free Case Evaluations

Learn More