Questions and Answers


Regardless of fault, every person involved in a motor vehicle accident is entitled to Statutory Accident Benefits, which are provided by law under every auto insurance policy in Ontario.

If you miss work because of injuries sustained in the accident, you may be entitled to an income replacement benefit and if you’re not working, you may receive a non-earner benefit. If you’re the main caregiver for someone in your household, you may qualify for a caregiver benefit. Additionally, you may be entitled to medical and rehabilitation benefits, which covers such care as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and medication. Attendant care benefits offer compensation for some of the expense of an aide or attendant if required.

When you’re involved in an auto accident involving injury or property damage, you must report it to your insurer within seven days, regardless of who is at fault. You should also be aware that even if you were charged, depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident, you may still be able to sue the other driver or perhaps the municipality for damages. It is always important to contact a lawyer after any motor vehicle collision.

The team at Kelly Greenway Bruce will help investigate your claim quickly and efficiently to ensure you receive all benefits to which you’re entitled.

Back to Personal Injury Law Questions and Answers >>

The above information is of a general nature and is not intended to provide legal opinions. Readers should seek professional legal advice on the particular issues which concern them. We would be pleased to elaborate on any information contained above and how it may apply to your specific circumstances.

Free Case Evaluations

Learn More